"Biryani" originates from the Persian word "birian" which signifies "fried before cooking." Thus, this is the reason of biryani started in Iran (Persia). Another intriguing story follows the beginnings of the dish to Mumtaz Mahal(1593-1631), Shah Jahan's queen who enlivened the Taj Mahal (Tipalti, n.d.) It is stated that she once visited armed force military enclosure and found the armed force work force under-supported regarding nutrition. She requested the culinary expert to create an exceptional dish which contained balanced diet, and so the biryani was invented.
Chicken Biryani Recipe!
Chicken Biryani – a highly aromatic and well-seasoned one-pot dish originally from India that has a perfect balance of chicken meat, rice and species. It is way too good that it’ll appear regularly in your weekly menu.
Servings: 4-6 people
Calories: 168 kcal
Chicken Thighs/ Chicken Breast (Boneless):
- 2 1/2 -3-pound chicken thighs (about 5-6)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin spice
- For a more flavorful chicken add more spices like curry, paprika, coriander, chilli, (about 1/2 teaspoon each)
- ¼ -⅓ cup yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil/butter/Ghee
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small jalapenos pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin spice
- 3-4 cardamon pods, cracked
- 1 teaspoon curry spice
- 1-2 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon chilli spice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ -1 teaspoon or more white/black pepper
- 1/3 -1/2 cup cashew (optional)
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups Liquid Broth or water, and/or coconut milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt or more adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoons or more cilantro (optional)
Steps to Prepare:
- Wash chicken thighs, for faster cooking make a ½” slit into chicken thigh meat on either side of the chicken, then wipe with a paper towel. Season with salt (about 1½ teaspoons).
- Add chicken to a bowl then add garlic, ginger, white pepper, cumin. Mix.
- Then add yogurt thoroughly mix. Refrigerate until ready to use. When ready to use discard excess marinade from chicken.
- Place chicken skin side up in a skillet / Dutch oven or oven safe pot/pan for about 3 minutes each, be very careful with the chicken, it shouldn’t burn. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F.
- If necessary, remove any burns from pan.
- Add about 2 tablespoons oil or more followed by onions, bell pepper, garlic, and bay leaf. Sauté until soft but not golden, about 2-3 minutes. Then add cumin, coriander, curry, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, chilli pepper, red bell pepper and cashews. Stir for another minute.
- Next add all the remaining ingredients, rice, stock and salt to taste. Add chicken, bring to a boil.
- Place in the oven in pre-heated oven uncovered. Cook for about 30 - 35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove let it cool, garnish with cilantro, if desired and serve.
- Can be served with raita/ yogurt too.
Posted by Romeen Basiri